Whatever crosses my mind - good, bad or ugly - will probably end up here at some point. Between my ravings, you can read about my cycling exploits with the Feedback Sports Racing Team here in Boulder, CO.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wankers Need Not Read - 07/18/07

I am amazed at the number of wankers who read my blog. My definition of a “wanker” is someone who reads a post and then leaves an anonymous note taking exception to how I presented my version of the race.

If you call me out about something, then kindly tell me who you are and how to contact you to discuss further. But don’t be a bold-faced coward by anonymously posting something, puffing out your chest and then hide behind your anonymity. It’s like giving another motorist the finger when you are within the safety of your own vehicle because you know there will be no face-to-face confrontation.

As one example, here is something I wrote in my Mike Horgan HC race report: "While forced to the inside and, thus, to traverse the steepest part of the switchback, . . ."

The anonymous post I received – which prompted this follow-on post – was: “Didn't look to me like you were "forced"...it only looked to me like you were on the outside, then dove to the inside almost taking out two front wheels, and then faded back to the middle/outside.”

Hey, fair enough for someone to see things differently. However, my use of the word “forced” is not indicative of someone forcing me to take the line I did. Given where I was within the group – on the inside of the switchback – my placement forced me to take that steep line. Had I been on the outside as contended, I would have stayed on the outside – the shallowest part of the switchback! Why the hell would I voluntarily make it more difficult on myself – and more dangerous for others – by diving across the switchback to the inside line? Makes no sense. But, if I am to respect this person’s opinion, then lose the passive-aggressive anonymous crap.

Don’t get me wrong here. If I missed something or you do take exception with something I say, let me know. That’s fine. I’m not looking for a fight or for an argument. Discourse is cool.

But don’t be a coward. If you're a cowardly wanker, stay the fuck off this blog.

Nuff said.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not cowardly, just don't have a blog or a webpage, thus making the options to fill out pretty limited on your comment page.

My name is JP from Spine and Sport, and while I can't hold a candle to you in these races, I did see things vastly differently from you during the race. All I know is I heard you sliding around behind me on the left onto Magnolia, which made me nervous that someone behind me is for some reason off the road at 12mph, and then to have that same person come from the outside (again, my view) to the inside, make me pull my front wheel in so as to not have it taken out, and then drift back to the outside upon realizing it was too steep. It's no secret you were in it to win it, but that was some dodgy riding and really threw off the rhythm of me and the guys around me. And going from 7mph to 2mph and have to get going up one of the steepest sections really sucked. I actually called you out on it at the time saying, "What's up Nate?" but got no acknowledgement.

I agree with you - anonymity is weak, but I don't know where to fill in an email in the comment form, so hit me at runjp at aol dot com if you want to discuss it further.

11:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny when people like you have a PUBLIC blog and then get all hot & bothered when someone posts a comment that ruffles your feathers. If you can't take the heat, then why have a blog at all?! It's public domain and thus open to any and all comments, anonymous or not. Consider the silliness of Teton's forum...
Also, I hope you win Evans so you can upgrade and ride w/ the P-1-2s where you belong. I'm sure you'll be competitive in that category so why not join the big boys and play with them?
However, as an ex-pro tri-guy maybe you should stick around in the 3s and ride some more crits. Maybe JPs comments are right in that you too could benefit from some bike handling skills. We ALL can, regardless of cat.

8:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home