Whatever crosses my mind - good, bad or ugly - will probably end up here at some point. Between my ravings, you can read about my cycling exploits with the Feedback Sports Racing Team here in Boulder, CO.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

SMK Memorial Crit - 05/20/07

What a great race for Feedback Sports!

The 4s went off first and controlled the race, keeping everything together, the pace high, reeling in all breakaway attempts and shelling half the field right off the back over the course of the 45-minute race. As a spectator, it was exciting to watch. While I saw only snippets of action from each 4-minute lap, what was notable to me was Brad Fisher chasing down one attack as if his life depended on it. Brad's a truly selfless rider. Then, with 2 laps to go, Andy J. comes through the start/finish line with a 7-second lead on the peloton. One guy is with him and, just then, two more break off the front and try to bridge. With one lap to go, a different guy is with Andy, but the lead has grown to 14 or 15 seconds. I think, "Wow, Andy's gonna win this!" Alas, it was not to be. The finishing straight is an uphill drag with a steeper pitch about 200m from the line before leveling out the final 125m. It was right about there where Andy got swallowed up. Damn! But, Josh Tanner sprinted his ass off for 4th. A great start to the day, for sure.

The 3s race was the last of the day, beginning at 4:45pm right after the conclusion of the pros' race. Our race was 60 minutes in length. The weather turned sour towards the end of the pro race, with super gusty wind kicking up and some rain. My first thought? "Awesome!" I love racing in adverse conditions. The weather did end up settling down just before race start, but the temps had been sufficiently cooled to allow for some fast racing. The wind would be a factor but not a decisive one given it had calmed to a steady breeze.

Before the race started, I delivered a few words in memory of Scott and the significance of the race. I put a positive spin on things. This was a great day of racing for all participants. We collectively needed to realize how lucky we are to be able to do this, that today is our only guarantee and that sportsmanship is way more important than if we win or lose. And it showed. Afterwards, everyone congratulated each other on a race well-fought. The embodiment of Scott's spirit. That's what it's all about. After I spoke, I walked back to my bike and centered myself for the task at hand while Scott's widow, Kristyn, and his mom, Rainy, also spoke to us. Some heartfelt words that put a lump in my throat.

Our race tactics were singular and clear: control the race. We would attack early and often, and our sprinters would sit in and save themselves for the end. And this is exactly how we executed. It was nearly picture perfect.

Our good friend, Mike Hogan, was the first to throw it down. Up the climb to the start/finish line at the end of lap 2, Mike took off. Diran was next to me up at the front. I looked at him and he said, "Go with Hogan." So I jumped away and bridged up. Neil Henderson, another strong perennial rider, bridged up as well. This was a very dangerous threesome to give any gap. My immediate thought? "This could be the race!" We charged up the climb and around the course, and our lead grew. The next time up the climb, I pulled through and heard Hogan say, "Nate, slow it down." I eased off enough to keep us integrated. But my next time through, down the gradual descent on the backside of the course, I opened it up and was away solo. My lead continued to grow and a few laps later, I thought staying away was becoming a very real possibility. I felt awesome, like Scott was straddling the bike with me. I was tearing it up and planning to leave it all out on the course. Diran said when Neil got reintegrated in the group, he gave me some high praise on my strength and power. Great words coming from someone like Neil, who works with Andy Pruitt at the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine.

Just past the 30-minute mark (the halfway point), I realized the peloton was motivated enough to reel me in. Maybe a lesson learned from the field-lapping spanking I gave them two weeks prior. I continued to push, because you never know what's going to happen behind. In the process, I won the first 2 primes and became $50 richer for it. Not bad.

I got reintegrated right at the start/finish line and, immediately, a counter attack was launched by three riders. Time for our next rider to go with that attack and make the most of it. Unfortunately, besides Diran being up front, everyone else was out of position to react. I was not going to have Diran go and waste himself for the final sprint. We looked at each other (again) and I just took off. I was feeling great and bridging was easy. The four of us grew to 7 or 8. But what an unmotivated sack of shit of a breakaway!!!! 2-3 of us were motivated to make the break stick but the rest were no better than lampreys - sucker fish just along for the ride who consistently broke up the flow and energy of the break. About 10-12 minutes later, we were re-absorbed by the peloton.

Tim Malton, in his first race as a 3, immediately attacked solo (author's note: Tim's first 5 races in the 4s ended up as three 1sts, one 2nd and one 5th, not in that order. He was ready to upgrade and we welcomed him as another potent finishing sprint attack). As I was right on the front, I blocked the best I could. A couple guys came around me, so I pushed to be third wheel and continue to disrupt the chase the best I could. Tim stayed out there for nearly 2 laps and won the third and final prime. Nicely done!

Now things were getting twitchy. Riders started diving corners and upping the "danger factor". I took it upon myself to chase down all subsequent breaks and keep the pace as high as possible to keep the race safe and make the sprint and easier affair for Diran, Andrew, Jeremy and Tim. Then, with 3 laps to go, Mike Hogan surged forward and took off again. I was right on the front and Andrew was right next to me, about a half-bike length behind me. I looked over my shoulder and calmly said, "Go." Andrew's got a lot of power in the legs and I knew he would be able to bridge up without anyone being able to go with him. Especially with me right on the front and blocking some more. Plus, while still strong, the zip had left my legs. I couldn't bridge. It worked great. Andrew went and he and Mike started building a sizeable lead. With 2 laps to go, Andrew shelled Hogan and went it alone. His lead looked large enough where he could almost assuredly stay away. My immediate thought? "Andrew's gonna take this!" But, it was not to be. As race director of this race, Andrew had been pulling some LONG days and had been up since 4:30am that day and the day before. And, after the race, he admitted he had spent too much time at the front and not tucked in over the course of the hour. This latter aspect might have zapped his legs just enough to allow him to get snapped up in the final couple hundred meters.

Andrew's attack prompted a flurry of activity within the peloton. One 5280 development rider, a high school kid, was diving all over the road, not really safely at all. Suddenly, we're heading up the hill for the final time. Andrew's up ahead but in his saddle. I can tell he's got nothing left in those legs. My ability to lead out Diran is gone. Understandably so but also disappointingly so. Diran and Tim both take off and start winding it up. Then, right in front of me, the 5280 boy dives across the road looking for an opening. He clips Diran's wheel and this sends Diran into the rider next to him. Somehow, Diran stays up but his wind up is totally derailed, as is the sprint of the guy next to him. Fueled by ire, his goal became to beat that putz to the line, which he did. Diran gives it another go and crosses the line in a very respectable 8th (the 5280 putz ended up 9th!). Top 5 for sure had his sprint not been interrupted. Great job, Diran!

Then, upon review of a photo finish, we find out Tim pulled off third! Way to go, Tim! Way to take it to the 3s in your first race with us! That's a lesson in bike throwing the guy who got 4th will never forget.

All in all, I give us an A- on the day. The only thing we did not accomplish which we set out to do was get the victory. It was very clear that Feedback Sports controlled the race and determined how it would unfold. Of that, we are very proud. We did Scott proud, for sure.

Next up, the Fort Collins Road Race on June 10th - a mountainous and hilly affair that has whet my appetite for sure. Stay tuned . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home