Whatever crosses my mind - good, bad or ugly - will probably end up here at some point. Between my ravings, you can read about my cycling exploits with the Feedback Sports Racing Team here in Boulder, CO.

Monday, May 19, 2008

5/18/08: SMK Memorial Circuit Race

I am knackered.

Yesterday’s Scott Kornfield Coal Miner’s Classic was one tough circuit race. Arguably the most aggressive circuit race/crit in which I’ve competed. The change in venue from last year went off without a hitch. Topographically, the course was not very challenging. However, the constant twists and turns, some tight corners and the blowing winds certainly made for a challenging race.

My legs felt great at the tail end of 3 consecutive weeks of racing. While I consider my fitness at 75-80% as I focus on Mt. Evans on July 19, this was not a race to take lightly. If nothing else, its significance makes it important. On top of memorializing Scott, my team co-sponsors and runs the race. Kudos to Andrew and Duncan for an excellent job of being co-race directors! You and the entire crew put on a great day of racing!

And I would be remiss if I failed to give kudos to Josh Tanner – 5th place! Awesome job, dude. Great rebound after a frustrating winter, including the knee issues you’ve been dealing with.

The 3s race was fast and furious from the gun. My fitness this May is noticeably and deliberately less than what it was last year, and it showed. Last year, going off the front during crits was my MO. Yesterday? I didn’t even see the front. A different rider or two dove each corner which kep the pace elevated and the racing super aggressive. I was surprised (and relieved) that there were no crashes. There were a couple guys who appeared to have no regard for the safety of those around them, choosing to move up at the stupidest times – like right into the bottlenecked 90-degree right turn late in the loop. Just plain dumb. Word has it that one of the yokels got a serious talking to at the end of the race.

Simply hanging on for survival is what I was relegated to doing. 3 laps into the race, my legs felt great but my chest was on fire. I thought, “How the heck am I gonna last another 50 minutes???” A few valiantly attempted breakaways throughout the race. One looked like it was going to stick as it lasted multiple laps and the lead continued to grow to about 20 seconds. Then the peloton’s pace lifted again and we covered the lap a good 10 seconds faster. And again, and again, and the breakaway was swallowed up.

I yo-yoed from about 5th to 10th position to 40th, mainly struggling to stay in the top 20-30. It was nuts. Everyone wanted to rip everyone else’s legs off, it seemed. The quarter-mile finishing straight was the best place to catch a breather, but only if you fought for your position. The cross wind caused the peloton to quickly gutter out, so many riders were left exposed for that stretch. The attrition rate ran high, with many riders dropping out or getting lapped and, thus, being forced to abandon. But there was no way I was going to quit.

With a lap to go, I imploded. The final attacks started and my legs simply could not respond. While they felt strong on the day, I had no access to any sort of top end power. My fitness is where I expected it to be, yet I did not anticipate being worked over like this. In keeping the eye on the prize in July, I can’t complain. However, taking the race as a single snapshot, it was humbling. My spring fitness was much better for the 2007 season but left me flat for July. Hopefully by easing into things this year, it will reap greater rewards in a couple months. Time will tell.

Great job to everyone out there. It was one challenging race, from multiple perspectives.

Next up, the Mike Horgan Hill Climb. A good stepping stone leading up to Evans.

Ride safe,
Nate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home