Whatever crosses my mind - good, bad or ugly - will probably end up here at some point. Between my ravings, you can read about my cycling exploits with the Feedback Sports Racing Team here in Boulder, CO.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

5/10/08: Sunshine Hill Climb

The Sunshine Hill Climb occurs up one of the most challenging canyons in the Boulder area Front Range. At 9 miles in length and with an average gradient of 7.6%, it rivals any of the more challenging climbs the Tour de France throws at its competitors. A closer look at the climb exposes its raw toughness - the final 4 miles are washboard dirt, the average gradient of the dirt is between 10-11% and at least one switchback tops 20%. It is an unforgiving climb. If you start out too hard or hit your redline too early, there is no respite in the dirt and no place to hide.

This year's race occurred 7 weeks earlier than last year. This Spring's topsy turvy weather also decided to not cooperate as racers were met with cold temps, increasingly colder temps as we gained elevation, a consistent head wind and, in the last several miles, falling snow. Needless to say, finishing times were not going to flatter the efforts of the racers who braved the elements and the climb itself.

The above descriptions may sould melodramatic. Until you look at the start lists and realize the fields of riders were about 25-33% of their normal size for less challenging races. It is pretty early in the season to race this hard. It's not like you can spin up Sunshine! And why would you want to on a day like last Saturday?

The highlight of the day had to be Andy Johnson upgrading to the 3s. We rode to the race to warm up and he never breathed a word to me. Not even when he went to get his number. Then, as he, Greg Ross and I are standing around before the start, Greg says, "So, Andy, you racing with us?" To which Andy grinned sheepishly and responded, "Yes, I am. And, boy, am I nervous!" I could not have been more surprised and, of course, happy for him. I love racing with Andy. The only detractor was the cold he was battling that week. Hopefully it would not spoil his debut in the 3s.

The pace of the 3s race was more aggressive from the start than last year's race. Last year, it felt pedestrian until I decided to attack right before we hit the Poorman turn-off. I realized that was too early to commit, so this year's tactic was to follow moves, not create them and then see what was what in the final few miles. If I had the legs, I would attack then. And after last weekend's disappointment, I was motivated to race hard and well.

Despite some new faces on the line, I eyed the two people I knew would have a hand in defining the race - my teammate, Greg (arguably the best steep climber in the 3s) and Chris Case (who Greg and I beat at last year's Sunshine HC and Mike Horgan HC, but who beat us when it counted most at Mt. Evans). Stick with them and that would be the race.

Chris must have taken a page out of my 2007 strategy handbook. Just past Poorman, when the first steep pitches of the climb are hit, Chris veered to the outside of the group and jumped up the road. At this point the pack was down to about 20 riders. I was in the front half and Greg was on the front. When Chris took off, Greg jumped after him, as did a few other riders. A gap opened very quickly. Keenly remembering the discomfort of last year's race, and not wanting to tow anyone up to Greg, I decided to sit tight. I was confident I could bridge up later.

In no time, the final selections were made. Chris dangled a handful of seconds up front. Greg and a Front Rangers rider were within spitting distance of him, while myself and a Vitamin Cottage guy named Jim were another 5-10 seconds behind in 4th and 5th. At this point, about a third into the race, my goal was to not pull Jim up to Greg but keep Greg in sight in case he faltered or the guy with him faltered.

To Jim's credit, he tried to bridge up a couple times and also tried dropping me. Neither worked. And, when he would recover on my wheel, I let my HR drop to about 130. There was no way I was going to be any help to him given I had a teammate up the road. Then another attack by Jim, I'd latch on to his wheel, the attack would end and we'd settle back in at what turned out to be a slightly slower pace than what Greg and the Front Rangers guy were holding as they battled it out with each other and as they tried to catch Chris in the lead. The wind made the racing and the tactics all the more important. Despite the efforts of the racers, the biting wind chilled and was uncomfortable. Nobody wanted to be strung out in front of it. I thought, "If Chris hangs on for the win, he definitely deserves it on a day like today."

Finally, I realized Greg was far enough in front of me where it didn't matter what I did anymore. My legs felt great and pretty fresh. Around a particularly steep switchback, Jim had a spot of trouble with his gears (at least it sounded like it as I heard some clanking behind me), so I seized the moment and jumped away. A quick look over my shoulder confirmed that he was unable to follow. I pressed hard the final 2.5 miles, wondering if I would see any of the 3 guys in front of me. Holding back in the first 6.5 miles does not mitigate the difficulty of the climb. The steepest sections just past Mile 7 were every bit as hard this year as they were last year.

In the final mile, the front 3 were out of sight and no one was coming up behind me. I shut it down a little bit, content with 4th place on the day and happy with the strategy I chose to employ. Truth be told, the absolute best I may have been able to pull off was third. Greg and Chris were in a league of their own and the Front Rangers guy did a great job as well. Greg ended up catching Chris and was able to respond to a couple of his attacks. But, in the end, Chris won in a very strong and commanding effort. Greg slid across the line in 2nd and Andy crossed in 10th. 2-4-10 was strong enough to vault the team into a clear (albeit early) lead in the Best All-around Team (BAT) competition.

Next up: SMK Memorial. Always a great race, always a poignant time to remember Scott.

Ride Safe,
Nate

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on Saturday. Those brake bumps, in the mud, with the wind, while dodging 35+ riders...was really fun.

Btw, check the ACA site - not sure about the lead in BAT for you guys.

-JP

7:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home