Whatever crosses my mind - good, bad or ugly - will probably end up here at some point. Between my ravings, you can read about my cycling exploits with the Feedback Sports Racing Team here in Boulder, CO.

Friday, September 15, 2006

2006 Reflections - 09/15/06

So, time for some reflections. . .

It’s funny, but when I take a break from training at the of the season, I always tell myself I’m taking a long and well-deserved break. But, as soon as I cross the finish line of my last race, my mind already starts spinning about how I can better prepare myself for the following year of racing. After so many years of top-level competition, it’s in my blood and I can’t turn it off even though this time around it’s “all just for fun.”

I felt a lot stronger in the early races of 2006 than I did in 2005. I looked back at my training diary and realized I had put in 50% more riders longer than 2:30 over the winter – 19 compared to 12. That’ll do it. My overall hours weren’t significantly different, but I can look to this one data point as the differentiator between feeling really strong at Koppenburg that first weekend of April and getting jettisoned off the back halfway into the race (as happened in 2005). So, for 2007 prep, I’ll stick to going long as many weekends as possible. If I can get that up to 22-24 from 19, that’ll be great stuff.

I think my overall approach to intervals worked. However, I see ways to better organize them over the course of time and am adjusting my approach in this way. When I’m back on the bike come October, the changes will take effect immediately. Likewise, I’ll be hitting the weight room as hard as I did last year, if not even harder. My legs were the strongest they have ever been in my entire life. If this didn’t help my cycling, it sure didn’t detract from it. I’ll never be big and burly, so I have no fears that I’ll put on unwanted or unneeded mass that will only serve to slow me down on the bike. My climbing was stronger and faster this year, so I’m putting a check in the “win” column for keeping serious weight lifting as an integral part of my routine.

The only thing I lament is that I was forced to quit lifting when I separated my shoulder at Lookout Mountain in early May. I had hoped to keep lifting through the end of June, so I lost 7 weeks worth of pumping iron. Did that help or hurt? No idea. What certainly didn’t help was sustaining a 4th degree separation of the left shoulder. While I ultimately did not lose any time spinning the pedals, those first outdoor rides and first couple of races back were causes for some fretting. My ortho tried to convince me that even if I fell hard on the shoulder, it was completely frammed (read: totally fucked). There was no way I could injure it further. Gee, what a relief.

So, what’s a guy to do? Surgery or no surgery? I’ve read accounts of athletes with similar injuries – Alison Dunlap, George Hincapie, more – going in both directions. George opted for no surgery with his 3rd degree separation. Alison opted for surgery. She was laid up for 5 months, the first 6 with the arm isolated in a sling. Umm, I think I’ll avoid that. I’m a terrible invalid – selfish and grumpy. Lori would kick me to the curb so fast my head would spin. I’ve decided to do everything I can to strengthen the shoulder area and see what happens. My range of motion is fine, but the crunchy floating sensation doesn’t feel good. I did start doing some pushups to start the strengthening process. I’m a total wussy right now, relegated to doing girly push ups on my knees. And I can’t even go down all the way to the floor due to the funkiness of my shoulder joint and collarbone alignment. The goal is to get to the point where I can complete sets of Marine-style push ups. If I can get that far, then I’ll forget all about surgery. If not, I’ll revisit that option.

I’m excited with how Feedback gelled this year. We got stronger as the year progressed and finished with a bang. Three of our riders upgraded. We expanded our ranks during the race season and we’ll expand further over the off-season. We’ll have a really strong contingent remaining in the 4s and a solid contingent in the 3s (especially if Greg Ross upgrades now rather than waiting). That would give us 5 in the 3s. All of a sudden, we have options.

Scott was integral to our success. His tragic death forced us together in a way we would have otherwise missed. Dare I say we're a family now? Cheesy, maybe. But the yarn that knits us together has been woven pretty damn tight. We race not only for ourselves but for those who are no longer with us. I know I for one ride with more purpose, more pleasure and enjoyment, and keep Scott close to my heart on every ride. I am also keenly aware of my mortality in ways I could not appreciate before last Memorial Day. I know every day on the bike could be my last. And I'm OK with that. Right now, the rewards far outweigh the risks. We'll see what more time in the saddle brings.

So, these are my immediate musings. With no races to report on, I’ll have to think of some other shit to jabber on and pontificate about. For now, I’m focusing on putting on a few kilos, getting as out of shape as I can and spending more time with the fam.

See you on the other side. . .

2 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Whoa! James Hetfield is a bike racer???? Who Knew??

Metallica RULES! ;P

8:11 PM

 
Blogger Skatebomb said...

Yeah, James is the bomb on the bike! Rock on!

1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home