Whatever crosses my mind - good, bad or ugly - will probably end up here at some point. Between my ravings, you can read about my cycling exploits with the Feedback Sports Racing Team here in Boulder, CO.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Shoulder Diagnosis Completed

So, when I went to the hospital after being taken out last Saturday, I was told by the “Scrubs” cast member posing as a doctor that I had suffered a Grade 2 AC separation of the (left) shoulder. Surgery not required, time will heal all wounds, all that noise. I was instructed to see an ortho this week to get it checked again for progress in healing or lack thereof.

Yesterday, I went to Eric McCartey, a neighbor of mine who played LB at CU and now services their athletics as well as those of DU. He also has a private practice. This guy interned at Vandy and with the NY Giants before coming back home to Boulder with his current gig. I knew I could trust Eric’s opinion.

I also looked at my x-rays before meeting with Eric. Yep, nice separation between the two bones of the shoulder – the collar bone and whatever the other one is called. They normally sit nose-to-nose and that connection is housed within some ligaments. Well, now the collar bone is pitched up what looks like about half-an-inch to an inch. Looks abnormal, that’s all I know.

So I get to the McCartey household and Eric takes me back to his study. As he boots up the CD the x-rays are on (ah, modern technology), he directs my attention to a couple of medical books he has open to the “Shoulder Injury” sections. I look at the pictures and x-rays of Grade 2 separations and my first thought is, “Uh oh.” The data shows the ligaments securing that nose-to-nose connection of the bones to be torn and shows stretching of other ligaments surrounding the collarbone. But, the collarbone is still nose-to-nose with the other shoulder bone. This ain’t what my shoulder looks like.

My next thought? “Grade 3 means surgery. Dammit!” My x-rays are done booting up and Eric takes a look. First thing out of his mouth is, “That’s a Grade 3 separation, not a Grade 2.” Great. He then probes the shoulder, asks some questions and, for the most part, is encouraged at the progress it has made in such a short period of time. I can raise my arm to parallel out to the side and can reach forward above my head; it’s getting there. I am loathe to say he is “surprised” or “shocked” because he lives this sort of crap every day. He shared an encouraging story about newly-graduated CU quarterback Joel Klatt. During Klatt’s sophomore year, he sustained a shoulder separation that Eric said was very similar to my own. Within 3 weeks he was back in the line up and had no recurrence of the injury over his final 2.5 years of being a CU starting QB. I also asked Eric about the dangers of injuring it further should I get back on the bike too soon and crash on it again. He said matter-of-factly that there is little risk of me injuring it further, even if I were to fall on it today. Yep, it would hurt like hell, but the damage is done. If football players can get slammed and crunched so soon after similar injuries, then falling off the bike can’t be any more punishing. I tend to agree. Time will tell.

Finally, Eric stated that surgery is not necessary, that my shoulder will always look fucked and that if it bothers me down the road I could opt for surgery at that time. For now, dig in and bear it. Fair enough. Of course, the vain side of me is saying, “Get the surgery. A small scar is better than looking like a hunchback.” The incredulous side of me is saying, “I’ve been bulletproof through over 30 years of high-end athletics and at age 37 is when something finally happens?” I’m not old and brittle yet. Finally, part of me remembers the tragic death of Andre Kivilev, who fell off his bike on a climb at about 10mph (but without a helmet, since the UCI had not instituted the mandatory helmet rule on climbs yet) and died. I’m reminded that this could have been a lot worse.

Whatever.

So, six weeks to get back on the bike? I don’t think so. I’m thinking that a shot of lydocane and I’m good to go for Scott’s Memorial race on the 21st. I’ll come to that crossroads in a few days and decide then. For now, I’m on the stationary bike and enjoying my recovery week. Legs feel great. I’ll be out there in no time.

Footnote: My bike sustained about $400 worth of damage – sheared fork, bent handlebars, both wheels out of true, sliced front tire and tube, bent cabling, more. I’m playing PI and trying to find the yokel who hit me so he can pay for it all. If anyone has any ideas, lemme know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home