Whatever crosses my mind - good, bad or ugly - will probably end up here at some point. Between my ravings, you can read about my cycling exploits with the Feedback Sports Racing Team here in Boulder, CO.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Deer Trail RR Recap - 4/29/06

So Deer Trail was f-u-n. Wind, temps in the low-40s, wind, rain, wind, sleet, no sun. Did I mention the wind? A full pack of 4s rode off in the early-morning rain on the narrow, tight roads outside Tornado Alley (to paint an accurate picture of what Deer Trail looks like from the road). The 61-mile race consisted of a repeated 24-mile out-n-back (tail wind – head wind x 2) followed by a right turn onto some challenging rollers for a third and final out-n-back section.

Riders worked out the jitters and goosebumps during the first 30+ minutes. The pace was fast but completely manageable given the tailwind. On the way back, into the first head wind, the pack slowed. No one wanted to challenge the rest of us. Given last year’s 50+ rider mad dash to the finish, I was determined to not let that happen again. Marshalling the troops, Andy Johnson, Jonathan Weaver, Brad Fisher and I were part of a 7-man break. We pressed into the headwind and created a nice cushion on the main pack. Turning back into the tail wind, the goal was to press our advantage further. Unfortunately, the wheels came off of some of our companions and we got swallowed up about 5-6 miles down the road. Andy and I remained on the front to keep track of everything.

A couple miles shy of the turnaround, a guy dressed in Hammer Nutrition gear took off. We let him go because we knew the impending head wind would probably stifle his efforts. So, we hit the turnaround and head wind, and the same thing happens. The pack’s pace dies. Finally, I’d had enough. With about 20 miles to go, I jump and go! I ride as low as possible on the hoods and start cutting through the wind. After a few minutes, I look back and I’ve got a nice gap. A few moments later, the gap is still increasing. I’m totally committed to this solo break.

A few miles up the road, I catch the Hammer guy. He tries to stick with me but can’t, so I cut my losses and continue on solo. I make the right turn for the final 13-14 mile out-n-back and the pack is out of sight. At this point, I’m thinking I can win this thing! That motivation pushes me harder.

All is great until I hit the final turnaround. Now, only 6 miles left to the finish. The wind is hellacious and I know right then that it will be tough to stay away. I’ve got 1:15 on the chase pack of about a dozen riders. At the very least, mission accomplished. This won’t be a crap shoot among 50+ riders. I’m killing myself up the rollers and going nowhere fast. The wind is killer. The pack is catching me. Shit! Finally, I realize they will, in fact, catch me. But I don’t let up; it’s not in my genes. With about a mile left, the catch happens.

I still feel very strong, so I take up position at the back on the outside, completely sheltered from the wind. I’m twitching to attack again, but know it would be futile until the very end. There are 12 of us and I’m biding my time. I expect one more attack to try to make one more selection before the finish. One guy comes around me and goes. “This is it!” I think. This is the final selection. I jump on his wheel but not too aggressively. I don’t want to be second in line, but rather 6th to 8th so I can counterattack and make a dash for the line. I’m positioned 7th. Perfect!

Then, the guy in front raises his arm in victory. What?!?! An inch-thick piece of white tape across the road rolls under my wheel. THAT’S the finish line??? At least 8 of us thought the finish was back in town, another couple miles from the true finish line (so, when I say above that I was caught one mile from the finish, at the time I thought there were several miles left). Eight of us bitching about the finish. I’m not saying I would have won had I known where the finish was, but I certainly think it is safe to say I would have placed higher. And probably been the one to jump first. Lesson learned? Scout out the finish line as well as the start line of every race! Won’t happen again at any venue.

All in all, I felt I was the strongest rider. I instigated two breaks. The team was awesome, both in the break as well as for breaking the wind for me. Especially Andy and Brad. Those guys were rock stars that day! My hats off to both of them.

Brad did take me out before the race. He clipped my front wheel and sent me to the pavement while we were warming up. I figure he really knows how to make his teammates crash. I felt fine on the bike for the race and I feel fine on it this week. However, anything else I do – walk, sit, lie down, sneeze, cough, etc. – hurts like a bitch. My back’s locked up, my left butt cheek has a big knot in it and my tailbone is pretty bruised. Thanks a million, Brad!

Stay tuned for a Pillar to Post update after Saturday.

Ride safe,
Nate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home